The best supplements for joint pain
Pain in your back, knees, hands, elbows, shoulders, and muscles (musculoskeletal pain), is caused by a range of lifestyle and genetic factors. Treatments for that pain must be personalized for every patient, based on your level of inflammation, how you experience pain, other health conditions, and current medications.
There are many natural supplements available that can help reduce inflammation and pain, such as:
- Turmeric (Curcumin) – Turmeric is a yellow spice used in a variety of cuisines, especially Indian food. It is well known for its anti-inflammatory properties. Its pain-relieving effects are attributed to a chemical compound in turmeric called curcumin which has shown to block cytokines and enzymes that cause inflammation. A 2016 review of several published studies found evidence supporting the effectiveness of turmeric (roughly 1,000 milligrams per day of curcumin) for improving arthritis symptoms like pain and stiffness .
- Super Omega 3 – Epigenetics Super Omega 3 capsules contain EPA and DHA fish oils which are rich in omega 3 fatty acids. A 2018 study showed that taking a daily fish oil supplement may improve joint tenderness and stiffness enough to help people with psoriatic arthritis reduce their dependence on nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs .
- Glucosamine Chondroitin MSM – Glucosamine is natural component of cartilage, a substance that prevents bones from rubbing against each other and causing pain and inflammation. It might also help prevent the cartilage breakdown that can happen with arthritis. Like glucosamine, chondroitin is a building block of cartilage. It may also help prevent cartilage breakdown from osteoarthritis. Many clinical studies have found that chondroitin can reduce joint pain and stiffness in people with osteoarthritis. About 53 percent of people who take chondroitin have a 20 percent or greater improvement in knee pain . A study also found MSM improved pain and functioning compared to a placebo in people with osteoarthritis . The combination of these 3 ingredients makes for a powerful product when it comes to helping with joint pain.
- SAMe – S-adenosyl-L-methionine (SAMe) is a supplement commonly used to help with symptoms of osteoarthritis. Your liver naturally produces SAMe from the amino acid methionine. It has several functions, including helping with the production and repair of cartilage. Supplementing SAMe has been shown to improve symptoms of joint inflammation similarly to conventional drugs .
- Vitamin D -Vitamin d is a naturally occurring compound that regulates the body’s use of calcium and phosphorus, therefore it is crucial for the formation of bone and teeth. A study looked at vitamin D levels in people who have rheumatoid arthritis (RA), an autoimmune condition that causes the body to attack its joints. The study found that most of the participants had low vitamin D levels. Therefore, it is important to be getting your daily dose of vitamin D.
Joint pain can be debilitating, however its worth giving these natural supplements a try as they can help improve some symptoms.